Slow Cooker Pulled Pork BBQ

All four of us love pulled pork BBQ sandwiches (is this a Texas thing, maybe?). However, I usually cheat and use a seasoning mixture from the local grocery store along with a few other basic items.

This morning, however, I did not have said seasoning mixture and had about zero desire to get ready to go to Kroger to buy it. Instead, I googled a few recipes, along with my memory of what is added to the seasoning mixture, and came up with a few ideas.

I combined those with what was in the fridge already and hoped for the best.

The result? Seriously yummy pulled pork and the knowledge that I can make my own without relying on a mixture!

My version of BBQ Pulled Pork:
1 pork roast, smallish (I think ours was around 3lbs or so)
1/4-1/2 cup of onion, chopped small
3/4 cup of ketchup (I love Hunts' HFCS free versions)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp or so of mustard
1/4 cup of BBQ sauce (mostly because I wanted to finish a bottle that just had a smidge in the bottom)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

-Combine everything but the roast in the crockpot, mix well.
-If needed, add 1/4-1/2 cup of water to the mixture (OK, I only did this so I could get the rest of the ketchup and BBQ sauce out of the bottles, but it worked).
-Put roast in crockpot and brush sauce over top.
-Cook on low for 8 hours, shred to make pulled pork and serve on buns!

We served ours with potato salad, but no secret recipe here. I stopped into Kroger on my way home tonight and they had it on sale in the deli because it was evening. Can't beat the clearance prices, so I bought two for dinner.

Comments

  1. We love to make pulled pork in our slow cooker. such a fun and easy meal! Thanks for joining in the Hip Homeschool Hop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment